Saturday, March 20, 2010

Rainbow Is Back


Rainbow Is back in Alabama.
Living near the Talladega has its advantages, every year or so about 200-1,000 people come to reunite amongst their travels in the national forest. Working in the ER, you get to see a great many things on a daily basis, but when the Rainbow Family comes around, things get a bit more interesting. I am amazed as to the modern day hippies can give up common things like air conditioners, razors, electricity, soap, etc and rough it in the woods.
I had a girl as a burn patient in the ER Friday as they are thumbing their way through Talladega county and riding their peace bus (picture above from our WalMart Parking lot) The girl got dehydrated and fell into an amber fire burning her left arm. I love burn pts so I was all over this! AS I was cleaning the burn, applying ointments and non adherent dressings, giving instructions on burn care I began to ask questions about their lifestyle. The girl came from a Catholic family, the other had no religion. I asked them what they did at their reunions and She said they get together and pray for peace love and harmony. I then asked what/ who do you pray to? She said that they are all open to different beliefs, that she did like the bible but didn't believe in a lot of the "tales" that were written in the bible. The other girl which was her friend says, "Yeah, like how can a man get swallowed by some fish and live, Seriously?" Then the pt says, "Yeah, like I don't believe All Things are possible with God." I was struck with dismay, but I have regretted the opportunity to share how my life seemed like I was swallowed by a fish, spit back out and am alive today because of God's Awesome love. The girls go on to tell of how they have thumb'd their way through many states, how one has kids at 21 and is marrying her fiance (who is 58) July 4th and their next big reunion . The lifestyle has just awed me all weekend. I am praying for these two girls who are a year younger than myself & the life that they are engaged upon..

No comments:

Post a Comment