Friday, April 29, 2011

Bridezilla




"You know when you were a little kid, & you believed in fairy tales, that fantasy of what your life would be, white dress, prince charming who would carry you away to that castle on a hill. You would lie in bed at night, and close your eyes, and you had complete and utter faith, Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close you could taste them. But, eventually you grow up.One day you open your eyes and the fairy tale dissapears. Most people turn to the thing or the people they can trust. But, the thing is, its hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely. Because, almost everyone has just the smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day they will open their eyes and it will come true."-Meridith Grey








So obviously none of us are living under rocks.. we are all aware that today was the most romantic fairy tale... The Royal Wedding! The commoner, Kate Middleton, a coal miners great- grand-daughter recieved her Happy Ever After and is now living a little higher on the hog as we Alabamian's say. Yes, I was one of the many American's who woke up at 4am to watch the Wedding as a donned my big hat drinking coffee so that I could pay attention to every detail. I cried. I smiled. and I prayed that one day my left hand finger wouldn't feel so cold. After hour and hours of television airing the Royal Wedding as if it were the Holy Grail I became a little sick of it. Yes, it was romantic. I get their royalty. But, News flash to all you news broadcasting stations: "All the single ladies" are sick of it.





My favorite television show is Sex and the City, Charlotte York is a woman who knows exactly what she wants. Carrie once said, " Charlotte treated marriage like a sorority she was always hoping to pledge." She, far more than any other character on the series of Sex & the City, desired a husband. Not just any husband, but the One, her soul mate, Mr. Right, the one whom she will live happily ever after. Charlotte wants the fairy tale, and she is not ashamed about it. I remember in one particular episode she decided that this is the year which she is going to get married. Now, we may laugh at Charlottes dating tactics, or roll our eyes like Miranda; but, the truth is deep down we at some point have gone on a man hunt. As much as Charlotte's desperation is embarrassing for my gender. I recall a season at which I did a little man hunting of my own. I'd like to take a trip down memory lane, into my Sex and the City past, as I recall a little "hunting season" of my own.



Music Blaring and drinks flowing, the pre-party to the evenings man hunt was now my ritual. The first order of business: alcohol. Typically, a night on the town with the girls began with drinking at home in order to be fun and friendly when you actually arrived at the bar. But far more important than the drinking, the biggest decision of all must be made... what to wear. This is huge, really. So much is at stake. Seriously, more time is spent going into the decision than most of us spent on deciding which college to attend. So from this brain trust arose carefully crafted ensembles- pulled together from the various wardrobes and push-up bras on hand to form for each girl the ultimate man-hunting outfit.




After choosing the perfect outfit, we moved onto the next order of business: where should we go hunting tonight? To a dance club, rave, a house party, or just a regular bar... so many options. Some nights it depended on our mood, and other nights it depended on who was going to be where. But really at the end it was a simple formula:




single guys+(free) alcohol= desired hunting ground.




The higher a place scored using this finely tuned formula, the more likely it was that you would find us flocking to this location like bears to honey.





I find it quit ironic that bars are the number one place people go to in hopes of finding love-- the irony being that bars are the place you go to drink. I wonder... is there a connection? Why is it that where people go to satisfy a physical thirst, you have people flocking to find a solution to a much deeper thirst, their thirst for love? Hmm... thoughts to ponder.





As we eventually find out, cosmos and cupcakes, martinis and men, will leave us hung over, overweight, and undermined. Our purest form of self becomes an intoxicated essence that reeks of habitual mistakes and continual longings. Empty glasses, empty arms, empty hearts. Here's the catch, there comes a day in every romance when the buzz wears off. Endorphins stabilize, rational thinking returns, and the bliss for romantic love turns into grocery store shopping, paying bills, and changing diapers. Girls, our souls don't need mates. Our souls need their Maker.





I've come to realize that as single women we can fall prey to the grass is greener mentality by thinking, If only I were married, then I wouldn't feel so lonely or empty inside. Little do we know how far from the truth this thought really is. Marriage doesn't make you happy, It just makes you married.





Like Charlotte, I am a single woman. I have an incredible life. I have the best friends a woman could ever dream of. Ive been blessed to be able to travel to beautiful places. And all my essential needs are met: food, shelter, transportation, clothing, shoes (sandals, stilletos, running, flats, kitten heels, platforms, wedges), boots ( flats, heels, cowboy, tall, ankle, scrunch, riding), and handbags. But, despite all of these things I would be lying to you if I didn't confess there is something I don't have that I truly desire. I don't have a husband or even close. have a fiance... When I plan my calender and think of the future, it's just me. Holidays, hurricanes, tornados, couple events, tax forms, car problems, birthday parties, and the list could go on and on. There are times when my desire is so real it's palpable. The desire can at times turn to pain, but through it all I've learned the secret of contentment.





As a single girl, there are two truths that I must hold in balance in order to be content. First, God created me for relationship, so my desire for a husband is not wrong it is good. Second, even though I was designed to be in relationship, my ultimate contentment, satisfaction, and happiness will never be achieved simply through human relationship. I was designed for something far bigger, far greater, something far more satisfying. A true 200 proof shot of Jesus Christ will always quench my thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment